Shiawassee County

Shiawassee County Michigan

This County Board of Supervisors’ first session was held in October of 1837. At Corunna, the County Board of Supervisors convened on October 7, 1839 and accepted that a block of land 300 feet square, designated as the Public Square and donated by the County Seat Company. Upon this plot the Courthouse was erected and the Courthouse that is current occupies this website. The Circuit Court for Shiawassee County’s initial term was held. The first session of the Probate Court was February 13, 1838.

Cities In Shiawassee County, MI

The first american to put foot in Shiawassee County was a Frenchman. He established himself with the Indians near the site of Saginaw for the purpose of trading. A fellow countryman named Tremble followed. For quite a while both Frenchmen controlled the trade of the vast district where this county was a small part. Gradually, however, other traders and trappers came in; along with the Indian, frequently unconscious of their danger which threatened his race-civilization fought against the invasion of the hunting ground. Shiawassee County from east to west is roughly 22 1/2 miles wide and from north to south is 24 1/2 miles.
There were hints as late as 1830, of a previous civilization, although it is believed that Indians were the earliest settlers of the section. Throughout the county were many mounds, of that were never determined the use and significance. Some were graves, as on launching human bones were found. Bore the appearance of a fort. Shiawassee County takes its name from the Shiawassee River, which enters the county near the southeast corner, extends through the villages of Byron and Vernon, the cities of Corunna and Owosso, and from there flows north into the Saginaw Bay, leaving this county near the center of the northern border. The name of Shiawassee is based from Indian lore, meaning “Rolling” or “Sparkling Waters.” The east is Genesee County; into Clinton, the west and Livingston Counties, into the south is located Ingham and into the north Saginaw.
The proclamation of Governor Cass on September 10, 1822 established as a distinct county Shiawassee. Besides the territory that was present, it included eight townships of Livingston and eight townships of Genesee. Fifteen years later Shiawassee were reduced by the organization of new counties . Other towns are the county chair, Corunna, Durand, Laingsburg and Perry. In addition to the six incorporated villages, there are smaller communities.