Rochester College – Rochester Hills, MI
Located in Rochester Hills Michigan, Rochester College has been educating leaders and creative minds in a challenging Christian environment since its inception in the year 1959.
Rochester College traces its roots back in the year 1954, about six decades down the line when members of the Churches of Christ came up with an idea of establishing an educational institution in the North Central part of the United States of America.
A board of trustees was formed to foster the process and Michigan Christian college was formed. However, in 1997 the college’s name was changed to Rochester College. The name was changed because there was a need to make the college more inclusive and assert the academic freedom to train individuals with broad life skills beyond just academic qualification. Today students at the college learn in a challenging Christian academic environment which prepares them for a better brighter future, with great problem-solving skills, strong Rochester Hills, MI community participation and impart great leadership skills.
Over the decades, Rochester College located in Rochester Hills Michigan has undergone various transitions that have made it what it is today. The achievements have been over time and they stand out in the college’s progress.The college’s history starts from way back when it was started as an educational institution in 1954.
- In 1957 a campus site search was initiated by the Board of Trustees and it was in Maxon estate in Rochester which was selected. In the next year, a series of rallies were organized for teenagers on the coming campus. At the first lectureship conducted in 1958, Otis Gatewood was named the president of the college. In the same year, a ground broken for the new facility which would host the multi-purpose building and Lucien Palmer named dean at a rally in Detroit.
- In 1959 Pat Boone organized a rally which attracted well over 8000 guests and funds were raised for the college. In the same year, the college welcomed its first students. In the coming year, Palmer Hall, named after the first dean was completed alongside science classrooms.
- In 1961 an additional science classroom was completed to create more learning space. In the same year, an auditorium was also completed. The same auditorium was to be used as the cafeteria.
- In 1963, the college achieved a major honor as it became a state accredited college. A gymnasium was also completed and the first homecoming held in collaboration with Valentine’s Banquet. In 1964, Lucien Palmer was named the second president, alumni associate formed and a 54-acre Gierok farm purchased for future expansion.
- In 1965 Muirhead center was completed. It would house the student center, additional classrooms, and a library. In 1969 it was a major breakthrough for the men’s basketball team as they won their first conference title.In 1971 Don Gardner was named the third president and in 1974 the college got accredited by the North Central Association. In 1980 Milton Fletcher named the fifth president and Ken Johnson the sixth in 1990.
- In 1994, the Men’s basketball team captured their second title and in 1995 the college got connected to the internet.
- In 1997 the college’s name changed to Rochester college and women volleyball’s team captured their first title in 1998.
- In the year 2006, the state authorized the institution to recommend teachers for certification. In 2011 women’s softball team captures the national title, and in the same year, the institution gets Michigan Board of Nursing approval for their nursing program.
- In 2013 John Tyson was named as the college’s current president, as the men’s’ basketball team wins the fifth national title.
As of today, Rochester College offers over 70-degree programs in various disciplines, it accepts both national and international students. Some of their courses are offered online, like a degree in leadership. The fees are affordable and the classes are offered at an accelerated pace.