Monroe County Michigan Area

Monroe County was formed by the southern part of Wayne County in 1817. Because Detroit was the only region with a population over 1,000 people, at the moment consisted of Wayne County. When the area became more populated, the southern portion of Wayne County was broken off to form Monroe County with the settlement of Frenchtown had been platted with the name “Monroe”. The settlement incorporated as a village in 1817 and became the county seat of Monroe County. Its county seat and the county were named in honour of then-President James Monroe in expectation for his visit to the region. Soon after its formation, the population of Monroe County was recorded at just 336 in the 1820 census. After the county was originally formed, it stretched for 60 miles (97 kilometers) inland (twice its current size), but the western half has been broken off to form Lenawee County in 1826.

Cities in Monroe County, MI

As the 2010 census, the population was 152,021 of. The largest city and county seat is Monroe. The county has been established as the next county (later Wayne County) in the Michigan Territory in 1817 and was appointed for then-President James Monroe. It is also considered a extension of the Toledo Metropolitan Area.
Ahead of the county’s creation, the principal settlement was Frenchtown, which was settled in as early as 1784 across the banks of the River Raisin. The small plot of land was given to the French settlers from the Potawatomi Native Americans, and also the area was claimed for New France. The settlement of Frenchtown along with the minor northerly settlement of Sandy Creek drew in a total of about 100 inhabitants. The area was the site of the Battle of Frenchtown, which remains the most deadly battle on Michigan soil and was the worst defeat in the war. The site of this battle is now part of the River Raisin National Battlefield Park.
He returned to Monroe in 1864 during the Civil War to marry Elizabeth Bacon (1842–1933), whom he met while formerly living in Monroe. A lot of Custer’s family lived in Monroe, included Elizabeth Bacon, Henry Armstrong Reed (1858–1876), also Boston Custer (1848–1876). After their deaths in the Battle of the Little Bighorn, Henry and Boston were interred and memorialized in Monroe’s historical Woodland Cemetery, as are members of Bacon’s family. Although dying at precisely the battle, George Custer was interred at West Point Cemetery, and Elizabeth Bacon was buried alongside him once she died many decades later. In 1910, the widowed Elizabeth Bacon and then-President William Howard Taft unveiled an equestrian statue of Custer that rests in the corner of Elm Street and Monroe Street in the center of downtown Monroe.